- Acetylsalicylic Acid
- Azelastine Nasal Spray
- Ciprofloxacin–Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose
- Dexchlorpheniramine Maleate
- Diclofenac Diethylamine
- Halobetasol Propionate
- Ipratropium Bromide–Albuterol/Salbutamol
- Ketorolac Tromethamine
- Loteprednol Etabonate
- Mefenamic Acid
- Sodium Chloride
- Sodium Cromoglycate/Cromolyn
What is Azelastine–Fluticasone used for?
Azelastine–Fluticasone is an intranasal spray indicated for the treatment of symptoms of seasonal allergic rhinitis (hay fever), such as runny/itchy nose, sneezing and congestion. Azelastine–Fluticasone nasal spray is a combination of an antihistamine drug (Azelastine) and a corticosteroid drug (Fluticasone).
Azelastine works by preventing the effects of certain natural substances in the body called histamine that are responsible for causing allergic symptoms. Fluticasone works by decreasing inflammation in the nasal passages.
Azelastine–Fluticasone nasal spray is recommended for use in adults and children who are at least 12 years old. This medicine may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
What is the recommended dosage of Azelastine–Fluticasone?
The dosage of Azelastine–Fluticasone may vary based on the patient's age, gender, body weight, medical condition and response to treatment. Always follow your physician's instructions and/or the directions on the prescription drug label.
Azelastine–Fluticasone nasal spray is intended for nasal use only.
To use Azelastine–Fluticasone nasal spray:
- Shake the container of Azelastine–Fluticasone nasal spray gently just before each use.
- Before using the Azelastine–Fluticasone nasal spray for the first time, prime the spray pump by releasing 6 test sprays in the air (away from your body), or until you notice a fine mist.
- Blow your nose thoroughly before using the spray. Then tilt your head forward slightly, while closing the opposite nostril with your finger. Insert the tip of the nozzle into one nostril, release 1 spray and breathe in gently.
- Follow the same steps as above and spray the other nostril.
- Be sure not to blow your nose after using the spray.
- Make sure to thoroughly clean the nozzle tip of the spray with a clean, dry cloth after each use.
- Remember: If the Azelastine–Fluticasone nasal spray has not been used for 14 days or more in a row, prime the spray once prior to use.
What if you miss a dose of Azelastine–Fluticasone?
If your physician has instructed or directed you to use Azelastine–Fluticasone medication in a regular schedule and you have missed a dose of this medicine, use it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double the doses to catch up for the missed dose.
What if you overdose on Azelastine–Fluticasone?
Any medication used in excess can have serious consequences. If you suspect an overdose of Azelastine–Fluticasone, seek medical attention immediately.
Overdose symptoms of Azelastine–Fluticasone may include
- thinning skin
What other drug(s) could interact with Azelastine–Fluticasone?
It may be noted that drugs other than those listed above may also interact with Azelastine–Fluticasone. Make sure to inform your doctor if you are taking any of the above-mentioned drugs.
Azelastine–Fluticasone can interact with the following 'types' of medicines/products:
- other antihistamine medications;
- HIV medications;
- heart/blood pressure medications;
- hepatitis C medications;
- azole antifungals;
- sleep medications;
- depression/anxiety medications;
- narcotic pain relievers.
Usually drug interactions may occur when certain drugs are taken together. Before you use a medication for a particular ailment, you should inform the health expert about the use of any prescription medications, over-the-counter products (non-prescription medications) and dietary supplements like vitamins, minerals and herbals, which may increase the effect of Azelastine–Fluticasone. This information can help your doctor to warn you of any possible drug interactions.
Do let your doctor know if you smoke, consume alcohol or caffeinated drinks, or use illegal drugs as these may interfere with the action of your medication. It is also important to tell your healthcare professional if you have any medical conditions or a family history of any medical problems. Do not start or stop using any medicine without consulting your doctor.
What are the possible side effects of Azelastine–Fluticasone?
Like other medicines, Azelastine–Fluticasone can cause some side effects. If they do occur, the side effects of Azelastine–Fluticasone are most likely to be minor and temporary. However, some may be serious and may require the individual to inform the doctor or visit the nearest hospital immediately.
It is pertinent to note that side effects of Azelastine–Fluticasone cannot be anticipated. If any side effects of Azelastine–Fluticasone develop or change in intensity, the doctor should be informed as soon as possible.
Azelastine–Fluticasone can cause the following side effects:
- mild nosebleed
- change in taste
- nasal irritation/dryness
This may not be a complete list of all side effects of Azelastine–Fluticasone. Do concur with your doctor and follow his directions completely when you are using Azelastine–Fluticasone.
What are the questions to ask your doctor before using Azelastine–Fluticasone?
Is it possible for me to use Azelastine–Fluticasone with other drugs?
Should certain beverages, foods and other products be avoided when I use Azelastine–Fluticasone?
What are the possible drug interactions of Azelastine–Fluticasone?
How will Azelastine–Fluticasone work in my body?
How should Azelastine–Fluticasone be used?
How to reduce the risk of Azelastine–Fluticasone drug interactions and side effects?
What other important information should you know about Azelastine–Fluticasone?
Before using Azelastine–Fluticasone nasal spray, make sure to tell your doctor if you
- have had recent nasal surgery or nasal injury;
- have ulcers or sores inside your nose;
- suffer from severe liver disease;
- have diabetes;
- have cataract or glaucoma;
- have active/inactive tuberculosis, or herpes infection of the eye;
- have any other infections such as chicken pox or measles;
- are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
- Azelastine–Fluticasone may cause dizziness/drowsiness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do any activities that require alertness until you are certain you can perform such tasks safely.
- Also, let your doctor know if you are allergic to Azelastine–Fluticasone, or if you have ever had an allergic reaction to any other medicines.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages while on treatment with Azelastine–Fluticasone.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick or have infections.
Note: Take care to avoid getting this medicine in your eyes or mouth. In case of contact with eyes, rinse it off immediately with a plenty of water for at least 10 minutes and call your doctor right away.
The health and medical information provided here is intended to supplement and not substitute for the expertise and judgment of your physician, pharmacists or other health care professional. It should not be understood to indicate that the use of Azelastine–Fluticasone is safe, appropriate or effective for you. Always consult your health care professional before using this, or any other, drug.